Friday, January 29, 2021

Learning English solely through Duolingo

With the desire to be able to understand and speak English fluently, I have always used various tools, audio, the internet, courses, but in the end, I realized that what really matters is the quality time you dedicate to learning something. That's why in 2020, I focused solely on using Duolingo. I used the account I had created six years ago (2013-12-16) and at that time, I had completed all the circles but only at level 1. This meant I had all the skills unlocked, allowing me to start from the most difficult to the easiest, which is what I did in 2020. I completed all of Tower 8 and also the entire first tower.



The method I used for practice was to repeat every sentence from each level for 1 minute and then write it down in Evernote. I dedicated 1 hour daily to this, totaling 70 hours throughout the year. The last data is not visible because I haven't updated it in the following image.



But at the end of the year, Duolingo ranked me in the top 2% of users who used their platform the most, out of nearly 100 million users. This is encouraging, but it's not the real result I'm aiming for.


The objective I have outlined is the one I have in my project note:



Objective: Speaking English Fluency


Motivation: Knowing English will open the doors to knowledge for me. Reading books, studying with videos, traveling—so much will change if I learn English.


Another thing is that since I am dedicating time to learning programming, I am currently spending only 5 minutes a day to maintain my streak and practicing reading official documentation. For now, that's where I am.


And can you learn English by just doing this? The answer is a resounding yes. The key is dedicating the time, measuring it, and staying focused during that time.


There is still a long way to go in the towers, and we will do it.


I just wanted to share this, that's all.


Greetings and best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UI of my task management system in Notion

 In order to be faster in note-taking and task management, I have designed a model that has allowed me to work quickly on both personal and ...